I have watched all month as people on Facebook have posted about what they are thankful for. I am not a big Facebook-er but I love the idea of writing it out so I am going to do it again this year. Last year at this time life was very different. I was living in India, and really still residing in DC. I didn’t get to experience fall at all, and this year I was lucky enough to experience a New England fall, now living in Boston. Lots of changes. But one thing remains the same, I am very lucky to have what I do and want to be more thankful every day.
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and “framilies“! XO!
1. I am thankful for my framiliy! I am lucky to have a close-knit family, but it’s my “friend family” that I relied on for many years before moving back to Boston. I am so fortunate to have found such a remarkable group of people when I moved to DC. They are the best a girl could ask for, I miss them every day and appreciate them more than ever now. You know who you are!
2. I am thankful for physical therapy. Over the course of the move, so soon after surgery, I had some pretty severe symptoms and was having trouble just walking. I found an amazing therapist in Boston and I am feeling so much more on my way to a full recovery.
3. I am thankful for my health, but also that I am fortunate enough to have great healthcare. With all the politics involved in this debate we can’t forget that there are many people who don’t have access to even the most basic care.
4. I am thankful for puffer jackets! Never bought one in DC, it’s a necessity now.
5. I am thankful for the new spin studio I found in Boston. For some reason biking is easier on me than a lot of other exercise so I am finally getting some regular cardio again. Great for the mind, body and soul.
6. I am thankful for history. We have such a rich history in the U.S. and I love the way we honor so much of it with really thoughtful and poignant tributes. The assassination of JFK, the 50th anniversary of the “I have a dream” speech, baseball championships, you name it, we know how to celebrate the past and what it means to the present.
7. I am thankful for Instagram. It is by far my favorite social media platform and I swear it helps me step up my photography skills.
8. I am thankful for having gotten to spend so much time in the Cape this fall. It’s such a great time of year there, which I haven’t experienced in over a decade. I feel lucky to be reminded how enjoyable it is.
9. I am thankful for trains and airplanes. (Notice I didn’t say airlines :)). I have traveled a lot over the last few months, mostly for work, but for fun too and it never ceases to amaze me how much connectivity we have.
10. I am thankful for the view from a plane just above the clouds at dusk or early in the morning. That view is truly priceless.
11. I am thankful for new experiences. As hard as it can be to feel like a stranger in a strange land most of the time being back in Boston, I have already met lots of nice people and found new things to appreciate in the city.
12. I am thankful for my family and friends here in Massachusetts. My favorite part about the last few months has been the ability to spend more time with the people I love most here, and not feel rushed and time crunched like I always did when visiting.
13. I am thankful for memories. This time last year I was across the world, but I love thinking back to where I was a year ago and all the fun memories I made and people I met in India.
14. I am thankful for our men and women serving in the military. At the Pats game on Sunday, they were celebrating our troops and there were some pretty emotional tributes to service members who have lost limbs and endured some pretty heavy stuff. It really puts things into perspective and we all need to appreciate the lives we lead here in the U.S., in large part due to the sacrifices made by others.
15. I am thankful for fall foliage. There is nothing like walking through some colorful crunchy leaves on a chilly day. As they say, life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall…
16. I am thankful for coffee. I am pretty much useless until I have that first sip in the morning, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
17. I am thankful for my new home in Boston. It’s in a great neighborhood, and while it has its quirks, I am very lucky to have found a place like this to start my new life here.
18. I am thankful for old photos. I love looking at old pictures. My Memere had a huge board with decades of pictures of our family in her home when she was alive and I loved looking at it. Picture sharing is now a part of our daily life, but old pictures are better sometimes because of their pre-digital age imperfections!
19. I am thankful for Pinterest. Talk about the ultimate inspiration board. No matter what you need: a recipe, a workout, an outfit idea, an inspirational quote, it’s all right there. I love the way technology enables so much access to sharing information. (Especially when that information is food/fashion/decor related!)
20. I am thankful for the ability to cook. I truly enjoy the process of baking or making one of my favorite recipes and sharing those recipes with friends and family. I consider it a compliment that I am often tasked with dinner planning and cooking when I am with my family.
21. I am thankful for the ability to drive. There is something so great about a good road trip and the freedom being behind the wheel can bring. My sister and I always talk about how we became emotionally attached to all the cars we have had because of the freedom they represented and memories made with each one.
22. I am thankful for quiet moments. It’s difficult to turn it all off, and so rare really. I am trying to get in the habit of just being quiet a little more often. The technology (and emails!) will be there regardless, there is no reason for FOMO!
23. I am thankful for music. I am one of those people who appreciates any and all kinds of music, I love to dance, and I am still amazed at the way a song can lift my mood, make me emotional or hit me with major nostalgia from the past.
24. I am thankful for the things that just make life easier, the Hail app for cabs, Seamless for take out, Flight Board for travel. Like it or not technology is making us more efficient in some aspects!
25. I am thankful for holiday traditions. I am excited to address cards, decorate and watch my favorite holiday movies (The Holiday, White Christmas, Charlie Brown, Rudolph (with claymation!).
26. I am thankful for pens and paper. I am a person who needs to write it all down: lists, goals, data dumps, doodles. I love a blank notebook to fill however I like, it keeps me sane and somewhat organized.
27. I am thankful for late night comedians. It has seriously been silly season from a political/celebrity standpoint over the last few months, and the ability to laugh at it all sometimes serves as a bit of therapy. Someecards is another great source for sarcastic humor.
28. I am thankful for random acts of kindness. I experienced one the other day and it’s great. Paying it forward is always a good idea.
29. I am thankful for garden fresh vegetables. My Dad has been doing farm-to-table since before it was trendy, and most of the vegetables on our Thanksgiving table are from his garden.
30. I am thankful that I have wonderful family and hot meal to enjoy on Thanksgiving, it’s so easy to take that for granted. We have had the same tradition for as long as I can remember and I know that’s not always the case for others and that alone is something to be thankful for.